MAMMARY HYPERTROPHY & GYNEOCOMASTIA
Mammary hypertrophy is the technical name for large breasts in women; it is called gynecomastia in men. People frequently inquire about the Scar-Less procedure for their breasts as an attractive alternative to traditional surgical breast reduction. At Finesse Surgical Solutions Dr. James Schlotter offers his patients the Scar-Less reduction. Patients desire breast reduction for a variety of reasons. A woman may be self conscious of her breast size. She may feel the breasts are disproportionately large relative to her body size or image. Some women have back and neck pain from the weight of the breasts or the pull of the bra straps on her shoulders. Athletic activity is a significantly limited. Women with large breast have difficulty finding bras and clothing that fits properly. Large breast can also predispose women to Candida yeast infections of the skin in areas where the skin rubs together.
TRADITIONAL T-SCAR BREAST REDUCTION
The traditional breast reduction is a big operation. Through a large, T-shaped scar across the bottom of the breast, the surgeon resects (cuts out) the breast and fatty tissue. The nipple complex is removed and repositioned to the front facing position. This is a reduction mammoplasty and mastopexy. This surgery requires a general anesthetic and leaves large scars; it may result in mammogram abnormalities and diminished nipple sensation. The recovery is significant. Some women find these issues burdensome, and may consider Scar-Less (liposuction) reduction.
HOW IS SCARLESS BREAST REDUCTION PERFORMED?
Scarless breast reduction is now an option for patients who wish to decrease breast size without significant pain, scarring and downtime. This procedure uses liposuction to remove excess fat from the breasts, while leaving glandular tissue intact. A narrow cannula is inserted into the breast to loosen fat, while a suction device removes the fat simultaneously.
The procedure is much less invasive than traditional T-scar breast reduction. Scarless breast reduction does not require large incisions or movement of the nipple, so scarring and recovery time is minimal, and nipple sensation is preserved.
BENEFITS OF SCARLESS BREAST REDUCTION
- The procedure is performed as an outpatient basis with all patients going home within 30-60 minutes after the procedure is completed.
- Shorter downtime, with most patients returning to normal activities within 2-3 days after the procedure.
- Local anesthetic can be used, rather than general anesthesia
- Scarring is minimal, with ¼” incisions required to insert the narrow cannula
- Procedure can reduce breast by 1-3 cup sizes or 20-50% of breast volume
- Nipple sensation is preserved after scarless breast reduction
- Women who have the procedure maintain their ability to breastfeed later
- May result in less tissue distortion for more accurate reading of mammograms
- Less invasive procedure means lower risk for the patient
- It is more cost effective; it is more affordable for the patient (our price is $4,000 -$4500)
Scarless breast reduction is a minimally invasive procedure that can produce stellar results without excessive discomfort or downtime. However, this procedure is not right for everyone. To learn more about whether scarless breast reduction is an option for you, contact Dr. James Schlotter and his staff at Finesse Surgical Solutions to have your questions answered or schedule a consultation with Dr. Schlotter.
CONSULTATION WITH DR. SCHLOTTER
At the initial visit Dr. Schlotter thoroughly discusses the patient’s desired outcome and expectations. Dr. Schlotter wants to be sure the patient understands what he can achieve. He examines her breast and mammogram to identify any limitations or concerns before planning surgery. Also the patient’s breasts will be measured for volume. If the patient decides the Scar-Less Breast Reduction is what she wants she will be scheduled to return to our office for a physical prior to surgery.
DAY OF SURGERY
- Arrive at our surgical clinic at 8:30 am (1347 Thorpe Lane, San Marcos, TX 78666)
- Patient is then taken to the back by our nurse to take their vitals, placed in a gown, then pre-operative photos are taken.
- The patient is then taken to our surgical suite where Dr. Schlotter begins marking the breasts to plan the placement of the surgical adits.
- An IV access is placed for emergencies only.
- Then the patient lays on the table and is comfortably positioned for the surgery.
- The surgical area is sterilely prepped and then the surgery begins.
- Dr. Schlotter begins the injections to numb the breast. This feels like little bee stings and the process can take up to 1 hour per breast.
- Once the anesthetic is completely injected the patient is allowed to get up from the table to use the restroom and to have lunch and something to drink. During this period the patient is “de-tumescing” (the anesthetic in filtering through all the nerves).
- Then the second half begins and the patient is then re-prepped and draped. Dr. Schlotter then begins the liposuction of the breast.
- He inserts cannulas for the liposuction thru small holes or adits 2-4 mm in size. He typically makes 5-6 small adits on each breast which are hidden in the bra outline. The fat is removed strategically to allow a natural reduction in the breast.
- Depending on the size of the breast this can take up to one hour per breast to remove the fat. The holes (or adits) are left partially open to allow fluid to drain. These adits heal over in 2-3 weeks.
- The patient is then allowed to sit up, is placed in a compression garment. She then gets dressed to go home usually around 2-3 PM.
We see the new contour and the reduction of fat right after surgery. The area will then begin to swell and it requires some weeks to really appreciate the final results. The breast will retract to a smaller version of it’s self over the next few weeks with final results in 3-6 months.
Breast reduction is a life changing procedure for women who have excessively large breasts as well as men. Scar-Less Breast Reduction at Finesse Surgical Solutions has many positives and is a great safe, affordable option for many people.